Tuesday, March 29, 2016

"On Photography" and other links

Hi guys,

I want to share with you a couple links to some of the pieces that I worked with to create my presentation for The Photographer. For one thing, I think these articles and books are super interesting, and I also hope they may be useful to those of you who'd like to get a better-mediated look into some of the issues and ideas regarding photography and photography+comics I discussed yesterday, whether out of personal curiosity, for your final projects, or as a way of transition to Radioactive, which also includes some photographs.

First, my personal favorite...here's Susan Sontag's condensed look "On Photography" (from a textbook) and here's the full book. Sontag really made me rethink a lot of my presumptions about photography and I would recommend her to anyone.

In class we mentioned and read excerpts from Roland Barthes' Camera Lucida. So I'm linking the full book here. It's a bit denser than Sontag, but equally fantastic and the writing's more beautiful. What's more, for the fans of Richard Howard, he did the translation of this version of the book.

For those interested in lynching photographs and the like, here's the link to "Behold the Tears: Photography as Colonial Witness," a great article that deals with the nuances of how photography can work both as a colonizer's tool and a way to reclaim the past for the oppressed. (To access this one, you might have to log in with your UC Library access code),

And last but not least, here's the other Nancy Pedri article (the one we didn't read for class), "When Photographs Aren't Quite Enough: Reflections on Photography and Cartooning in Le Photographe," that deals with the marriage of photography and comics in The Photographer specifically.

Have a great AWP, if you're going, or a great week without us writers if you aren't!

Cheers,

Ondrej




No comments:

Post a Comment